The refreshing and Halal-friendly Korean rice drink, Sikhye. A must-try

 




Sikhye is considered Halal?

One day, I posted a video about a Korean restaurant where we ordered Korean food and the Korean beverage Sikhye. Some people commented that sikhye is similar to soju and not halal, which is completely inaccurate. Sikhye is a popular Korean drink, especially among children, and holds a nostalgic value for many Koreans who associate it with drinking at suna (Korean bathhouses) and so refreshing during hot weather

So Sikhye is generally considered halal. It is a Korean rice drink made from fermented rice, water, and sometimes barley malt or pine needles. The ingredients used in Sikhye are typically halal, and its preparation process has no known issues that would make it non-halal.

Why must try Sikhye?

As you know, sikhye is a fermented rice drink. It’s a healthier alternative to soda, but some varieties can be overly sweet. It’s best enjoyed cold, as it’s very refreshing.

I’ve tried sikhye at Korean restaurants and even in Jeju Island’s 5-day market. I’ve tasted the canned version of this fermented rice beverage. Let me share my preference between the two

I tried it the Sikhey so How was it?

The first time I tried Sikhye was when I received a can as a gift after a meeting at the Korean Embassy in Rabat – Morocco. I took some home and refrigerated it before tasting it. Initially, I couldn’t quite understand the taste. It was something sweet and unfamiliar, as Moroccan culture doesn’t frequently use rice in beverages.

I didn’t read the label at first, but after pouring it into a glass, I noticed the rice particles. Don’t laugh at me! 😂

then I realized it was a rice drink, I understood the sweetness and enjoyed it so much that I finished the entire can even (if it wasn’t tasty, I definitely would have thrown it away 😊sorry)

The second time I tried Sikhye was at a Korean restaurant @annyeong_casa in Casablanca.

My friend and I, who were fasting, were looking for something refreshing to combat the hot weather. We ordered Sikhye, and it was perfect. and this one had a similar texture to granita, with crushed ice, and it was incredibly sweet, tasty, and cold it was so good.

The last time I tried sikhye was while visiting Jeju’s Traditional 5-day market. It was extremely hot, so my friend and I decided to try a Korean drink for refreshment. We found a shop selling various beverages and ordered two cups of Sikhye.

While the Sikhye was refreshing due to its coldness, it tasted a bit different from what I had experienced previously. It was overly sweet and had a heavy taste that I couldn’t quite describe. Unfortunately,

I couldn’t finish it, and it was the first and the last time I purchased Sikhye in Korea.

So have you ever tried the Korean drink sikhye? If so, how did you find the taste the first time you tried it? Share with us your experience on Instagram! @mydoseofkorea

0 comments